Saturday, May 28, 2005

Hen House Mosquitoes

Well it is that time of year again. I went out at dusk last night to close up the coop for the night and just about got carried away by the mosquitoes.

There were literally thousands of them all over the outside of the coop. I had to run and hold my breath while trying to close the doors to avoid breathing in the nasty little things.

I do not know why but for some reason mosquitoes are very fond of chicken coops. It may be the gas given off by the droppings that attracts them. I say this because the coop seems to attract them even when the birds are outside.

Much of our acreage is an environmentally protected, ecologically important wetlands (which my wife says is a fancy word for swamp) so we probably have more mosquitoes than most folks.

All I know is it is a real pain in the neck (literally) trying to do my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment